Monday, June 6, 2011

One Year Later on Route 20

2011                            2010


One year ago today I embarked on my journey across the United States on America's longest highway, US Route 20. I know that living in the past is not a good thing, but to celebrate that journey I decided to drive some of the route today out past Worcester, MA. I redid some shots I made last year, but also stopped in a few other places to get some other views that I may have missed.  

The trip was one that still creates so many fond memories. I wish I were in the position today to make the trip again, but one day it will happen. (Well, a cross country trip that is, maybe not on route 20). This Blog will incorporate new journeys as well as incorporate the original trip posted on another blog site. Enjoy.

Although not on Route 20, I started at Revere Beach last year since it was on the Atlantic Ocean and I would eventually end at the Pacific Ocean.

On the way - part of the Boston skyline

Route 20 begins at Kenmore Square. This was on Storrow Drive.

The beginning of US 20. Newport, Oregon is 3365 miles west from this point.

A new sign for Boston University. They too an old Howard Johnson Hotel and converted it to dorms. It was neat that they used an old picture to show its former self, which includes a shot of an old Route 20 sign.

The first sign on Route 20 West. I find it very odd that this highway gets no publicity for being the longest highway in the country.

Me at the beginning. I took a similar shot last year.

Intersection of US 20 and MA 16 in Watertown, MA

A more modern (but old looking) monument to establish that George Washington used the old road what would become US 20 on his way to Boston at the start of the Revolution. In Watertown.

Downtown Watertown, MA

One of the things about being a road geek is finding incorrect shields. This one indicates that the route is MA 20 and not US 20. This is a common mistake in Massachusetts. (Plus highway specifications state that the WEST is to be on top).

A close up of the MA 20 shield.

For some reason they put up a US 20 reassurance shield just feet away from the MA 20 shield behind it. Odd. I guess they want you to know what road you are on.

US 20 coming into Waltham, MA

This is probably one of the most talked about shields on all of US 20. It is certainly unique and on the entire stretch of highway, is the only one that incorporates the WEST and the 20 inside the shield itself. Waltham.



Massachusetts likes to use small square directional signs.

Another directional sign, with an MA 20 shield to Interstate 95 with Rhode Island and New Hampshire locations. Yes, we are that close. In Waltham.

Traffic circle on US 20 to get onto I 95/MA 128

Going around the circle.

The Wayland church.

Part of today's trip was to get the scenes along 20 that I missed on my first trip. In some parts the font of the 20 is smaller for the shield itself.

Sudbury River

Marlboro, MA. In this directional, there is not any shield for the 20.

Another smaller font in a large shield.

The Edgemere drive in.  No longer in service on Route 20.

Another street scene.

Add caption

The sign just looks odd to me.

Antique US 20 shield from the late 1960's or early 70's. There are a few left in the state. This one is in Watertown.  They have the MASS DEPT OF TRANS at the bottom.

Close up of another MA 20 shield.

Boston skyline with the T (Greenline)

Approaching the last miles of 20 East.

A nice dual shield sign. Familiar in MA. Some states use individual shields.

This is the last eastbound US 20 sign. The END sign has been missing for a few years in Kenmore Square.

The famous view of Kenmore Sq and the Citgo sign.

2 comments:

  1. You just gave me the idea of traveling this road and take some pictures! Great blog!

    http://bythecanonviewfinder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fun to revisit via your photos! I'll be in touch.
    Nancy Fitzpatrick

    ReplyDelete